Bi-monthly support meetings are held at the Bear Canyon Senior Center, 4645 Pitt St NE in Albuquerque. This is two blocks from Eubank and Montgomery, go north on Eubank one block to Lagrima de Oro St, and east one block to Pitt, and left 50 yards to the Bear Canyon parking lot. We are in room 3, at the west end of the building. Meetings are
usually the first and third Saturdays of the month from 12:30-2:45 pm.
Map is at http://binged.it/1baQodz
The following are Meeting Announcements for upcoming meetings and dates to put on your calendar for upcoming events.
NEXT GENERAL MEETING
December 20 Holiday Potluck and The Year In Review
This meeting is a fellowship meeting and time to say Happy Holidays to your fellow prostate cancer survivors. We have had an excellent year – be reminded of all our great programs and learning experiences.
A sign up sheet will be at the December 6th meeting but if you would like to sign up now you can email your RSVP and whether you will be bring a main dish, salad, drinks or desert. Please allow enough for 4-6 servings.
Click Here to SIGN UP
Moderator Lou Reimer
Board of Directors Meeting Wed, Dcember 17 10-noon, PCSANM office
General Note PCSANM maintains a speakers panel that we offer to groups to make presentations to increase prostate cancer awareness. If your group, (church, fraternal, civic, senior center, gym or whatever) would like to have a presentation, contact the PCSANM office via email (pchelp@PCSANM.org).
On March 12, several members of PCSANM, and their spouses, worked at the KNME pledge drive. We answered the phones while they broadcast the Trains of North America special. We helped them take pledges of over $15,000. It was fun and they gave us dinner for our 3 hours of effort.
· Move to new office.
· Gave One-on-0ne counseling to 46 men and families.
· Supported an additional 29 newly diagnosed men by giving them Newcomer
· Distributed prostate awareness packets to remote medical personnel
in outlying towns.
· Updated the beginners guide.
· Held an Advanced/Recurrent Prostate Cancer conference where 6 doctors spoke on the topic
– We had 68 attendees.
Prepared a DVD of the conference. Doctor Almeida will be posting a copy of his conference presentation on his website and YOUTUBE.
· Held a Prostate Cancer Awareness night at the Isotopes ballpark.
· Conducted a PSA screening event where 98 guys were tested.
· Published 4 Newsletters and many editions of electronic news about prostate cancer and it’s treatment. Special thanks to the members that volunteered their time to help with the newsletter.
· Maintained Website and Facebook pages with our info and news about
· Helped envelope stuffing at KNME at four different times.
· Volunteered at the TriSport Coaching’s Triathlon.
· Held 20 support meetings, attended by a total of 524 people. Topics
o We held sharing sessions every meeting, plus three sharing only
o Incontinence and ED.
o High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) treatment.
o Several Advanced/Recurrent prostate cancer videos.
o Dr. Lindberg
o Companion Care=Patient assistance with daily chores.
o PSA screening controversy
o Nurse Navigator role in cancer treatment, and,
o A couple of programs covering advanced prostate cancer drugs.
Plans for 2014
Our plans for next year are still in the formative stages but we are trying to raise prostate cancer awareness throughout New Mexico, while maintaining our efforts in the Albuquerque Metro area. We plan to:
Continue and expand distribution of prostate cancer information to medical personnel in the more remote parts of the State.
Continue to distribute Info about us and our services to doctor’s offices so the patients will have that available when diagnosed.
Continue informative support meetings.
· We will hold another conference on Prostate Cancer in early November this
· We will hold a prostate cancer awareness night at Isotopes park in the summer.
· We will continue our efforts with the newsletter, website and
· We would like to expand the Board of directors to 11 or 13 members. Any volunteers? I can promise long hours, low wages, and hard work, but I can also promise the wonderful gratification that comes from helping others who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Prostate Cancer Support Association of New Mexico
2533 Virginia St NE Suite C
Albuquerque NM 87110
2012 Meeting Videos available in PCSA Library
Jan. 21, 2012 - Lyle Ware/Tom Stanford - High Dose Testosterone Replacement Therapy, Dr. Bob
May 19, 2012 - DennisPrestoldt - Abiraterone
June 6, 2012 - Dr. Hoffman - Active Surveillance
June 7, 2012 - Dr. Tom Schroeder - Clinical Trials
Aug. 4, 2012 - Ms. Michnovic,Olexy, and Bateman-Wold - Legal, Insurance, Paperwork Assistance.
Sept 15, 2012 - Jan Esparza - Nutrition
Oct. 20, 2012 - Dr. Fabio Almeida - Prostate Cancer Imaging (C-11 Acetate a specialty)
Nov. 3, 2012 - John Traub (General Manager -Albuquerque Isotopes) - A Young man’s journey with Prostate Cancer
Nov. 17, 2012 - Lou Reimer - Review of 2012 PCRI Meeting
Dec. 1, 2012 - Dr. Ramish Gopal - Radiation Therapy
Prostate Cancer Support Association of New Mexico
2533 Virginia NE
Albuquerque NM 87108